How to Fold A Pocket Square
One seemingly simple question: one million and one (or at least 52) answers.
Whether you’re headed to a work function, a wedding, or simply want to spruce up your everyday business casual wear – a pocket square is just the way to do that.
But be warned: you can’t just throw your pocket square in your pocket all loosey-goosey and call it good, oh no no no.
Luckily for you, we are here to teach you how to fold a pocket square – properly. Follow our simple little guide and you’ll be a pocket-square pro in no time.
Fold Your Pocket Square Like A Pro: Here’s How
Of course, we couldn’t possibly cover all of the ways you could style this little piece of fabric in one short article – but worry not. This quick little guide will cover a few of the most common (and most stylish) folds you could opt for.
The One Point
Classic, simple, and great for both formal and casual pocket square needs.
- Fold your square diagonally down the middle, forming a triangle.
- At the base of the triangle, fold the corner inward on one side, and then the other.
- Make each fold equal in size and ensure the base of the square is now approximately the same size as your pocket. The pocket square should now look like a little envelope.
- Slide the pocket square into your pocket, flat edge down, until only the triangular top is visible above your pocket.
The Two Point
A little more flair than the one point, but just as easy to make.
- Fold diagonally, but angle the fold slightly off-center so that one corner lies to the left of the other.
- Along the base of the triangle, fold one of the corners inward, and then fold the other corner inward over top of it.
- Once again, ensure that the folds are equal in size and that the finished product is the same width as your pocket.
- Slide the pocket square into your pocket, flat edge down, until only the double pointed top is visible above your pocket.
A sharp, clean, and elegant addition to any jacket.
- Fold the square in half from right to left.
- Fold in half again, this time from left to right, leaving a gap at the right edge.
- Fold in half yet again, this time from top to bottom.
- Finish by folding the bottom up and behind the front. Adjust the fold to ensure the pocket square is the same width as your pocket.
- Slide the pocket square into your pocket until only the top edge of the square is visible.
Not the most formal of folds, but fashionable nonetheless.
- Start by pinching the pocket square at the center, letting the edges and corners hang down.
- Adjust the pocket square so it hangs evenly all around.
- Gently take the dangling edges and pull the square into a loose tube shape.
- Roll the tube up from the bottom until the pocket square is short enough to be tucked into your pocket.
- Slide the pocket square into your pocket until only the rounded top of the puff is visible.
Slightly more difficult, but all the more fun. It’s a pocket square within a pocket square – or is it?
- Start with your square lying in a diamond shape.
- Slightly roll the corners in and keep rolling until the two sides meet in the middle.
- Fold the bottom portion up and under.
- Fold the sides over to envelope the upper portion.
- Slide the pocket square into your pocket until only the peaked top portion of the square is visible above your pocket.
A Few Extra Tips and Tricks
Sure, knowing how to fold your pocket square is probably the most important aspect of wearing one – but we should probably let you in on a few of the unspoken rules. (You know, to keep you ahead of the game).
- Your pocket square should never directly match your tie
- Match your fold to the occasion
- Size does matter
- A white pocket square is always a good idea
Now that you know all of the best ways to fold and style your pocket square, you’re probably going to need a nice new suit to go with it. Drop by either our Edmonton or Calgary location and we will be more than happy to get you dressed – in our best.